I had a friend who posted a picture of a pork and mac n cheese pie, and at that moment I knew I had to try to make one on the smoker! Really though, with ingredients like that, how could I go wrong?
For CRUST – Recipe from A Bountiful Kitchen
- 4C AP Four
- 2C Shortening
- 2t Salt
- 1C Cold water
For Mac N Cheese
* this recipe makes A LOT. Cut in half if you don’t want leftovers)*
- 4C Dry Macaroni
- 1egg, beaten
- 1/4C Butter
- 1/4C AP flour
- 2.5C Whole Milk
- 2t Grainy Mustard
- 1Lb Sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/2t Salt
- 1/2t Pepper
For Pulled Pork
- 2C Leftover smoked pulled pork ( try my recipe for the BEST smoked Pulled pork!)
- 1/2C Traeger Sugarlips BBQ sauce
- Mix the flour and salt in a large bowl. “Cut’ the shortening into the flour mixture with a pastry cutter (or 2 knives) until it resembles dense cornmeal.
- Add the water 1T at a time until it *just* comes together. YOU MAY NOT USE ALL OF THE WATER
- Split the dough in half and roll until its 1/4in thick. This recipe will be enough for a top and bottom layer in a 9in pan. with a little leftover so you can cut shapes for the top!
Mac N Cheese
- Cook Macaroni until about 1/2 way done. It should still be hard. Drain, and set aside.
- In a large pot, combine butter and flour on medium heat for about 5 minutes, stirring constantly
- add milk and mustard and stir until well combined and SUPER thick. Reduce heat to low.
- SLOWLY add 1/4C cream sauce to the beaten egg in a small bowl, whisking constantly. (don’t cook the egg!)
- Pour egg mix into sauce and stir until smooth
- Add cheese and stir until completely melted.
- Add S&P to taste
- Pour the noodles into the cheese sauce and keep covered in pot until ready to add to pie. It will be very thick. Refrigerate leftover mac n cheese.