This quiche starts with a home made pie crust, then gets a layer of caramelized onions and garlic, followed with spirals of zucchini and truffled Brie, then is finished with a milk and egg mixture poured over the top. Add a sweet Smokey flavor by cooking it on the grill, and viola- brunch!
Pie crust (This recipe makes enough for 2. Usually I’ll freeze the other one 🙂
- 2C Flour
- 1C Shortening
- 1t Salt
- 1/2 C very cold water
- 6 Eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 2 Zucchini’s cut into very thin strips
- 1/2 C Truffled Brie, cut into strips
- 1/2 sweet onion chopped + 2 garlic cloves minced, caramelized and cooled.
- S&P to taste
- Mix salt and flour in a large bowl. Cut shortening into flour mixture with a pastry cutter until mixed and shortening resembles peas.
- Pour the water into the mixture and stir with a fork until dough sticks together in a ball.
- Cut dough in half and wrap the other half in plastic to freeze or use later.
- Flour a flat surface and roll the remaining half of dough to 1/4in. Place in a cast iron pan or pie plate and pinch or fold the edges to make a crust. Poke the bottom with a fork 8-10x.
- Refrigerate 20 min. Cover the dough with parchment and fill with pie weights or rice.
- Bake at 500F for 8 minutes to blind bake. Set aside. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Set grill to 375F
- Spread the onion and garlic mix into the base of the cooked and cooled pie crust. Starting in the center of the crust, wrap the zucchini into a spiral and continue to add more strips until you reach the edges. (Spread the spirals out so there is some space)
- Wedge the Brie strips into the open spaces of the zucchini evenly.
- Sprinkle with S&P
- Mix the eggs and milk together and pour over the zucchini/cheese spiral, making sure to get the egg mix into all the empty space. Place quiche in the center of the preheated grill and cook for 40-50 minutes or until golden and center is set. Let cool slightly and serve.